Wednesday 28 May 2014

Adam's Friend

Hey guys and girls,

Well I'm Nick and I'm here invited by Adam as I have somehow convinced him that I have some ability when it comes to painting minis.

So a bit about me.... I have been playing Warhammer 40k for longer than I care to admit, (somewhere around 2nd Ed I think) on and off the whole time and always seeming to need to start again when my interest peeks and I succumb to the call of war. When I think about it, I have dabbled with every army when it comes to painting, but each time it comes to starting an army, I am always drawn to the mighty space marines. Nothing screams "bad-ass" then shoulder pads bigger than your head and a gun with a muzzle big enough to eat small children that shoots mini-nukes at anything that get in your way. 

For me the hobby began when a friend of mine was playing the wizards of the coast game "Magic the gathering". I opted to fill in for one of his games he was short, using his deck and I beat him.... Long story short and much frustration for him being beaten by his own decks repeatedly, we opted to have a go at something that required more tactical acumen, that had more diversity and there was no chance I was going to beat him.....


Well $200, a few weeks and a votive offering to the blood god, my berserker army rose from the warp behind who I thought was the most awesome, fear inspiring, pants wet causing incredibly bad-ass looking Kharn the Betrayer! My friend laughed at me that my whole game plan was three steps. 
1) Charge
2) get Kharn in close combat
3) get out of his way!!
My friend was playing Imperial guard, "I have soooooo many guns, you wont get close!". Well 2 berserker meat shields got Khan close enough to assault, and only lost him one wound of his three. For anyone that remembers 2nd ED, Kharn when charging across the field of battle, had 3 wounds and a 3+ save (i think i remember him having an invol too.....) but in close combat... a thing of total beauty and destruction! his 3 CC attacks become 6, Gore Child was a power weapon, and he could hit anyone in base contact! All of a sudden a full squad of guardsmen became meat pulp under his armoured boots and the remaining 4 troops ran.... 

That was the moment. When I became addicted to Warhammer. This game that made hardened Generals out of mere school boys. When you could face down the might of an empire and reduce your school chums to swearing, praying gibbering fools, and still be home for tea.

So that's how I began this hobby, and now I find myself starting again... again... so I'm going back to the beginning with this blog, back to when it started. I will be doing my beloved world eaters, but I will be building it from a time before they were devotees of the blood god in keeping with the 30K theme. 
the only difference is that I will be focusing on smaller battles. I want to create a few different teams to fit the "kill team" rules for 30K. (i believe these rules are layed out in the Horus Heresy book 3: Extermination.)

So stay tuned as I prepare for war. Maybe even live up to Adams introduction and display some skill in painting. 


I will leave this first post with an image of how I remember Kharn in the old days.....



(P.S he might even make an appearance)

2 comments: