Wednesday 28 May 2014

Ultramarines Pt.1 - Bases

Hi all, Felix here!

Since we're in the leadup to the Horus Heresy Inferno Tournament in June, it's a great opportunity to start posting on the progress of my army for the event.

As stated before, I've chosen to do Ultramarines for my Legion, the problem here being that I have very little time (two and a half weeks at time of writing) before the event itself yet I have a grand total of ZERO resin soldiers to paint!
I'm checking the mail frequently for postal slips so I can get started, though it's really starting to look like I'm going to have a mad rush to get things painted and ready in time for the event.
Figures crossed!



What I DO have however is a number of resin bases I purchased from Secret Weapon Minis to reduce my workload for this project, while getting some good results. I'm pretty bad when it comes to basing and, short of popping some Agrellan Earth on a standard GW base, I pretty much resort to purchasing resin alternatives to give my models some extra coolness.

The bases I selected for my marines was the "Urban Streets" line as I really wanted to do something quick, easy and effective. The added benefit is that the bases will tie in well with my Secret Weapon Tablescape order of the same name too!
Expect pictures of that when it arrives in the next month or so too (hopefully).

Pretty much as soon as these bases arrived, I set to work on painting them. Primer first;


Typically, my airbrush decided to clog several times during this part.

20 bases for my tacticals, and another 25 terminator sized bases for the Cataphractii and Praetors in my list.
Pride of the Legion RoW is awesome!

I followed up after priming by simply popping some Minitare "Base Grey" on the bases, then washing them with Nuln Oil. (I tried one with agrax to see how it would go, but eh.)

Lack of Effort, AHOY!

I was originally going to leave them here, being both a lazy hobbiest and being totally eh towards basing. Though after 15 minutes of twiddling my thumbs and nothing having any power armour to paint blue, I decided to start doing some details.

Alright, a little extra work goes a long way.
So, after painting the bricks red and doing some simple white lines on the "road" sections (Naturally still got more paint to apploy on most of the bases) I feel i really made the bases look MUCH better. I'm really excited to see how my deep blue Ultramarines are going to look on these bases now, especially with the nice contrast of the red bricks.

Anyway, that's the sum total of my hobby exploits thus far on my way to a 2500pt Heresy list, though I'm pretty happy with these bases so far, particuarly for how easy they were to do!

Until next time,
Felix.



No comments:

Post a Comment